Nuance does not provide support directly for foot pedals. The foot pedal is an external hardware device and like other hardware devices such as a digital camera, printer, or a mouse each one is unique in it's own design and because of this, we recommend the transcriptionist contact the vendor who knows the device the best to help configure it if the following tips do not help.
Nuance InScribe will work with any foot pedal that can be configured so that the Play Pedal sends an "F2" (meaning when you push the pedal it is as if you are pressing the F2 Key on the Keyboard), Rewind Pedal sends an "F3" (meaning when you push the pedal it is as if you are pressing the F3 Key on the Keyboard) and Fast Forward sends an "F4". (meaning when you push the pedal it is as if you are pressing the F4 Key on the Keyboard) Most foot pedals have software that allow you to configure it to emulate keystroke(s).
Note: Foot Pedals purchased from Start/Stop come configured to work with Nuance InScribe. The only steps you must follow are 14-16 to get the Foot Pedal working with InScribe. Follow Steps 1-13 only if you need to re-configure your foot pedal.
Nuance Programming Guide
1. Switch the foot pedal to program mode (under foot pedal, flip switch until blinking light).
This is an example diagram from the front view of a foot pedal. What you are looking for is a switch to put the foot pedal in programmable mode. Your model may or may not have this ability. If you have the switch to put it in programmable mode, you may try the directions to the left to assist you in configuring the foot pedal. These are general programming instructions which may not apply to all models.
On some models you may need to lift the front up to find the switch as pictured below.
3. Press and release the Play "pedal" on the foot pedal.
4. On the main keyboard, press the "F2" key.
5. Press and HOLD the "Esc" key, press and release the left "Ctrl" key, release the "Esc" key.
6. On the main keyboard, press the "F9" key.
7. Press and release the Play "pedal" on the foot pedal.
To program the Rewind pedal:
8. Press and release the Rewind "pedal" on the foot pedal.
9. On the main keyboard, press the "F3" key.
10. Press and release the Rewind "pedal" on the foot pedal.
To program the Fast Forward pedal:
11. Press and release the Fast Forward "pedal" on the foot pedal.
12. On the main keyboard, press the "F4" key.
13. Press and release the Fast Forward "pedal" on the foot pedal.
Now switch the foot pedal out of programming mode until solid light is lit.
In InScribe Application:
14. After jobs have downloaded, click on Options Menu and select "Separate Play and Pause".
15. On Options Menu, select "Set Actions".
16. For the F9 key, you will see "Save". Drop down the list next to the F9 key and select "Pause". The actions are in alphabetical order so you should scroll up. Now select "Pause" and press OK or Close.
YOU ARE FINISHED!