Canned Text Best Practices in ShadowScribe Document Templates
This article explains the best practices when using canned text in ShadowScribe document templates.
When adding canned text to a ShadowScribe document template follow best practices to help optimize the MT/MLS’s productivity potential:
Inserting Canned Text
Adding new content (creating canned text):
- Type in the content directly into the section or subsection box.
Copying existing canned text:
- When copying existing text from another source such as the unstructured editor or a word document ALWAYS PASTE into NOTEPAD FIRST, clean-up any formatting, and then paste it into the section or subsection in the template. This will avoid any formatting issues that can arise from direct copy and paste from the original source.
Adding numbered lists for preferred transcription format STRUCTURED DOCUMENTS
- When adding numbered lists, do not add the numbers, convert the numbers into bullets use the bullet option from the tool bar. The bullets will be converted into numbers by the format rules at time of delivery.
Adding numbered lists for preferred transcription format UNSTRUCTURED DOCUMENTS
- When adding numbered lists to unstructured documents, you need to manually type the numbers in. Note: if you just type the number and hit enter you will get a blank line between the numbers. To prevent this use Shift+Enter to start your next line. Doing so will produce the result shown in the screenshot above.
Tips for using brackets [ ] within canned text
Canned text can help the MT/MLS improve productivity when used correctly. The following Tips are recommend when adding canned text to any template section.
- Use empty bracketed fields [ ] within canned text:
- When canned text has blanks to fill in, usually within sentences.
- Set “Section Options” action to “Append” to prevent recognized text from overwriting canned text.
- Use bracketed fields with prompt text or MT/MLS instructions such as [as dictated], or [type here].
- When extra instructions in a certain section needs to be conveyed to the MT/MLS
- Set “Section Options” action to “Append” if instructions need to be preserved or “Replace” for recognized text to overwrite instructions.
- Use auto-complete bracketed “Fields”
- When certain common demographic information needs to be part of the section. For example for patient name and gender use [PATIENT NAME] and [GENDER:M/F] or [GENDER: Male/Female]
- Set “Sections Options” Action to “Append” to prevent content from getting overwritten by recognized text
- Use Selections when MT/MLS’s need to make a choice.
- Selections should be offered as a dropdown selection. Use the pipe symbol instead of the slash to make a selection for the MT/MLS
- Correct: “the [left|right] knee…”,
- Incorrect: “the [left/right] knee…”
- Selections should ALWAYS be inserted “[left|right]” ([not right|left]) for consistency.
- Use bracketed fields when a section is required but has no canned text.
- Set “Sections Options” Action to “Replace” to overwrite the brackets with any recognized text.